Sunday, January 30, 2005

The BOB

Last Summer, motomotoyama and I were on a quest to find the best macaroni and cheese in Seattle. We had our list from NWSource, and one of the recommended eateries was The Blue Onion Bistro on Roosevelt.

A group of seven--sprizee, her Dude, Beth, dagmar b, miss villanelle, motomotoyama and I--headed over there about 7 PM on a Sunday night. The mac 'n cheese was bland. The service was inattentive. Beth (he's a guy, this is his nickname for those new to my tales), already pissed off that the waitress had addressed the whole table as "Ladies...", was convinced that the waitress was out back smoking pot. Humorously enough, we later ran into her out near the back dumpster. The prices were high for what we got. I couldn't recommend any of the dishes to anyone, except the pork schnitzel that The Dude got (and I kept laughing at the name...I'm a ten year old boy, apparently). Ever since, I've been a little bewildered that local reviewers kept it on their recommended lists.

Today, I logged on to read the local Sunday paper. I feel a little vindicated now--a recent review agrees that it's quite lackluster.

P.S. Out of several local places, we came to the consensus that Cafe Venus/Mars Bar has the best. There's probably more to come on the pursuit of good mac 'n cheese. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, February 02, 2005, Blogger egan said...

I see West 5 made the list. I have had their Mac N Cheese and it's pretty good. You just have to suffer through their poor service.

 
At 12:51 AM, February 02, 2005, Blogger Rachel said...

I think sprizee and I were too, uh, high on life last time to accurately judge the service. Plus, it was way after midnight.

I forgot they're on the list. I know that we talked about going back there...maybe we'll do that next time we're stalking you so that we can judge their version of mac 'n cheese.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home